1. Take in a free summer concert. Many communities offer free concerts for you and your family to enjoy. Here is some information on some of those concerts:
- Abington holds a concert every Sunday starting at 6:00 pm through August 28th at the Catherrine and Joseph Nisby Bandstand. This is free for the whole family, and is held.
- The Braintree concert series is held Tuesday evening from 6 – 8 pm thru August 9 th at Sunset Lake in South Braintree.
- The Launch at the Hingham Shipyard hosts a free concert every Friday evening starting at 7pm. This series goes on through August 26th.
- Every Thursday night in July Weymouth holds free concerts from 6:30 – 8:00 pm at the Ralph Talbot Amphitheater next to Town Hall.
- Milton Parks and Recreations holds free summer concerts Wednesday nights throughout August 10th. All concerts begin at 6:00pm.
- Boston Harbor Hotel holds free concerts Tuesday – Thursday from 6 – 10:00 pm. The free concert series runs through September 8th .
2. Pack a lunch and take the ferry to one of six islands in Boston Harbor - Georges, Spectacle, Peddocks, Lovells, Grape and Bumpkin Islands. Great opportunity to explore the beautiful islands National and State Parks with your family, and enjoy a quite picnic at sea. All six islands are accessible from Boston with additional departures from Hingham, and Hull. Visit http://www.bostonharborcruises.com/harbor-islands/ to plan your trip.
3. Kayak the Atlantic, Charles River or Hingham Harbor. It’s now easier than ever to enjoy our local waterways even if you don’t own a kayak. Nantasket Kayaks, Charles River Canoe and Kayak, and the Hingham Harbor Marina all have affordable kayak rental prices.
4. Watch a movie under the stars! Many towns offer a free movie night held outside. Be sure to bring a lawn chair and a blanket and cozy up to watch a flick with your family.
- Every Thursday night in August Weymouth holds free outdoor Movies from 6:30 – 8:00 pm at the Ralph Talbot Amphitheater next to Town Hall.
- The Launch at Hingham Shipyard shows movies each Thursday night through August 25th . Movies begin at Dusk, and can be seen on the Amphitheatre.
- Summer in the City at Boston Harbor Hotel. Movie begin at dusk each Friday evening through September 9th .
- Free Friday Flicks at the Hatch Shell. Movies start at dusk each Friday and run through August 26th .
5. Visit a local farm! Massachusetts’ local farms give an opportunity for you to pick fresh fruit and enjoy some fun actives with the family during your visit. Here is some of our favorites:
- Davis Farmland in Sterling offers a Play and Spray experience where your children can go to cool off, along with an animal showcase and pick your own apples.
- Connors Farm in Danvers has a ton of things for you and the family to do. They offer season fruit picking from blueberries to apples, a corn maze, gemstone mining, live entertainment and a petting zoo to name a few.
- Smolak Farms in North Andover have a wide variety of animals in their petting zoo. You can also pick your own fruit, take a hay ride and there is a playground for the children to play in.